Sunday, February 3, 2008

Maybe I'll actually buy a CD of NEW music for a change

This post is MOSTLY for my best friend, Jason.

The following was cut and pasted from The Relix site...
---
"Galactic drummer Stanton Moore has recently completed a series of studio sessions with Rage Against the Machine guitarist Tom Morello and rapper Boots Riley. The unlikely trio are scheduled to release the project under the name the Street Sweeper via Epic Records this spring. As first reported by New Orleans’ The Times-Picayune, Moore first met Morello at a November 2006 Future of Music Coalition benefit concert held at Tipitina's and the new friends first bonded while standing at the bar of Ernie K-Doe's Mother-in-Law Lounge. Meanwhile, Boots Riley is one of the many MCs who appeared on Galactic’s 2007 hip-hop disc, From the Corner to the Block.

Morello recently reunited with his Rage Against the Machine bandmates for a series of shows, including an appearance at October’s Vegoose (an event which is co-produced by Galactic managers Superfly Presents). The guitarist also performed at Bonnaroo as The Nightwatchman."
---

Jason constantly promotes The Coup in much the same way in high school he promoted The Grateful Dead, Frank Zappa, and... Well, I guess that was pretty much it. Much in the same way in high school I promoted... Well, pretty much just Bruce Lee. Anyway we both agreed on Rage Against The Machine, although I'm sure that they are not ranked on his best bands of all time list. (They are ranked on mine.) And I'm sure we both agreed that Audioslave SUUUUUUUUCKED... although I don't think we discussed it... not necessary. So this sounds cool... Although that was the same thing I thought when I heard about Audioslave. The adult contemporary Rock & Roll of Audioslave was sooooooooooo milquetoast that it convinced me that Rage's rage was really just Zack de la Rocha. Well, Boots Riley is certainly pissed off so this could be grrrrrrrrreat.


Although I am still holding out hope for a new Rage CD... Crap.

P.S. I do like the name Street Sweeper. I always thought that Audioslave was a horrible name for a band that had a history of members who were uber political.. Why would you want the word "slave" in your name?

P.P.S. Fine. My list of most greatest bands/musicians of all time in no order, because that would be stupid... and too difficult.

Jimi Hendrix, John Coltrane, Rage Against The Machine, Living Colour, Fishbone, 24-7 Spyz, Urban Dance Squad

P.P.P.S.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Now that's news I can use. All this funny stuff is fine and dandy, but every once in awhile I need you to tell me what to buy and when. Thank you. And, of course, it goes without saying, Audioslave SUUUUUUUCKED!!!

On the eve of Super Tuesday, in the immortal words of Boots Riley:
I'm anti-republican and democratic
if they self-destruct
that's anti-climactic
tired of bein' hunted like an antelope
take the system by the throat
that's the antidote
so I pose a proposition
take a look, be in support or opposition
then be proactive proceed with confidence
'cause you know that you can't change shit by ridin' the fence

(Though I'm still voting for Kucinich. Just because he gave up on the race doesn't mean I'll give up on him.)

Kamau said...

As much as I know you like to be a lurker, it made me laugh to see your response. Now wasn't this more efficient than a phone call? I'm proud of you (mostly cuz of the other stuff you told me recently).

Anonymous said...

Yes, Audioslave sucked.

Little known fact. When I was in college, Public Enemey was doing a west coast college tour. Basically every school between San Deigo and Seattle. This was like '93 or '94. Opening for them was 24/7 Spyz. When they got to San Luis Obispo, my school, 24/7 Spyz had to drop out for some reason. Replacing them? A young upstart band called Rage Against the Machine. True story.