Tuesday, October 28, 2008

What happened to Chris Cornell?

Oh Chris Cornell!

How did you go from this guy...



--- God of Seattle (grunge-- Whatever THAT meant) RAWK! The lead singer and songwriter of SOundgarden, who in my opinion were the best Seattle band of the Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden Trio ---

to THIS guy...



The leader of a new movement: ADULT CONTEMPORARY ROCK AND ROLL... (And yes, I know Audioslave was half the fault of the musicians from Rage Against the Machine.)

and then to what I think is a commercial for long distance phone service or lady products...



to the theme from a JAMES BOND MOVIE?!!! Which puts him in the distinguished company of Sheena Easton AND Sir Paul MacCartney's LIve and Let Die. (Yucky!)



See if you can guess what THIS IS a cover of...



And finally he lands on this. The theme song of a TV show...



The sad thing is I don't actually hate this last one (aside from the clips from the show being dropped in). Chris's new album is produced by Timbaland --- who could make a Mormon funky --- but I do miss my old "friend" the screamer, the shouter, the angrier, Chris Cornell.

He was cool. Remember THIS guy...



Well now, he's THIS guy...




I blame the mustache.

1 comment:

Olivia Peach said...

This is a funny blog... Oh I am feeling how you feel... I was listening to the new music and while it's fun, I am thinking this isn't the Chris who I started listening to when I was like 15 enjoying albums like badmotorfinger and downontheupside! I even prefer is solo albums that he put out before this poppy stuff came out. However I honestly think he wanted to reach out to a younger audience, and keep his career going full throttle. Sadly that is the life of an artist. We actually have to make a living and we do what we do to keep our bank accounts alive. I am still hanging on myself, for dear life as a painter, most of my friends have given up their art and now do Graphic Design... I am not giving in so easily however. I don't blame him really over all, and think he just wants to keep doing his music, but studio time costs $$$ and when your albums keep flopping it can be a good feeling. So he's trying to incorporate a new feeling into his songs.

BTW that video for the theme song of the show, he's walking under a subway train in Brooklyn where I used to live, lol.